RG’s Complete Guide To Wood Paneling

by Tim Layton on January 10, 2010 Google+

in Do It Yourself,Trends,Trim and Moldings

One of the hottest “new” trends I’m seeing this year is the extensive use of real wood paneling. I say “real” because I’m not talking about the wood paneling of the 1970′s. No photo-finish veneer paneling here! I’m talking about real wood paneling!

rustic-painted-paneling

Paneling Wood Comes In Many Forms

The number of looks that can be obtained using wood to cover your indoor walls is vast. Over the next few weeks, we’re going to cover all of the best and coolest of them! Such as:

• painted wood paneling
  • ceiling wood paneling
  • beadboard paneling
  • board-and-batten paneling
  • plywood paneling
  • real wood veneer paneling
  • wainscot paneling
  • raised-panel paneling

We’ll see pictures of all of these ideas and we’ll look at both traditional and modern looks that can be obtained with wood.  Don’t miss a single idea in this series, Subscribe by Feedburner Email!

beadboard-walls-and-ceiling

Installing Wood Paneling

Our training wouldn’t be complete if we stopped with the ideas. We’re also going to look at the practical knowledge of:

• What to buy
  • Where to buy it
  • How to install it
  • How to finish it
  • What goes with it

By the time we finish, you’ll be a Paneling Ninja!

Not Your Traditional Post Series

I’m coming up on the one year anniversary for Remodeling Guy. In that time, I’ve learned a little about me and blogging. I’m not great at keeping to set blogging schedules. Other duties sometimes interfere.  (see the subscribe links below to be sure not to miss anything)

So installments in this post series will have little, if any, discernable pattern. I might post two installments in a day, or one a week. Maybe on Monday, maybe on Thursday. Who knows?

I’ll mix these posts in with other regular content.

I expect the series overall to be fairly complete and detailed. It will probably take at least a half-dozen posts, probably more.

Ninja Training is serious business, especially when tons of awesome pictures are involved.

Don’t miss anything! Subscribe to Remodeling Guy for free at either of the following links:

Subscribe by Feedburner Email – daily posts to your email inbox

Subscribe to Remodeling Guy in a feed reader (like Google Feedfetcher)

I hope you enjoy the series.

Post #2 – A Gazillion Types Of Wood Paneling

Post #3 – Board-and-Batten Paneling

Post #4 – V-Joint Tongue and Groove Paneling

Post #5 – Beadboard Inspiration (lots of pictures!)

Article by Tim Layton

{ 8 comments }

1 Jacquie January 10, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Oh I love wood paneling. The ceiling in the bottom photo is amazing!

2 Mrs. Jones January 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Yeah, I’ve heard it’s been cold down there! It was 25 degrees here this afternoon. That doesn’t bother me so much as the thought that our next warm day will be around April. That makes me want to cry!

I happened to try a power yoga class yesterday, and it was a workout because my arms are sore today. Since I usually lift weights, that took me by surprise!

Have a great week!

~Heather

3 Sherri January 11, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I can’t wait for this…I want to put beadboard in both of my bathrooms. Looking forward to your instructions!

4 Jen @ homeinthecountry January 11, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Rock on, Remodeling Guy! We’re just starting to think about remodeling our small 1/2 bath and I would love to put in beadboard/wood paneling on the walls (and perhaps the ceiling). I’m definitely looking forward to your how to + inspirational pictures!

5 Maureen January 11, 2010 at 9:10 pm

RG-

Just wanted to take a moment and say I really enjoy your blog. I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas from it (now I just need to implement some of them :-)). I’m particularly interested in what you have to say about paneling and beadboard. I want to put some up in my laundry room and kitchen/dining room. Thanks for all you do!

6 Cottage Dreamers January 12, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I love paneling. We have it in every nook and corner of our house. Our house isn’t finished and the pine wood planks we used only have primer on them right now, but I couldn’t be happier with the choice!
I absolutely love that bedroom picture!

7 Tracy January 31, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I’m so excited about this. We have real wood paneling in our library/study and I can’t decide what I want to do to dress it up a bit. Maybe paint???? I’ll be looking forward to your wood paneling inspiration!

8 Jackie January 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

Doies anyone know what paneling this might be? I swear I have seen it but can’t put a nane to it. It’s characteristics are:

Floor to ceiling
Wood
Thin strips wood quarter inch
Strips in groups of 3 every 8-12 inches
Paintable
Strips give visual of a “column”

Feel like I am halucinating this but swear I have seen it. I love th3 look of this.

{ 11 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post:

Use of this site constitutes agreement with the SAFETY DISCLAIMER!, Privacy Policy