When you get ready to build that new fireplace surround, don’t settle for anything less than “wow!”. You can get exactly what you want without paying a fortune if you do your homework.
Use Pictures To Express Your Ideas
- With the availability of so many pictures online, you can find exactly what you want. Your project will go more smoothly when pictures express your desires.
- If you can find the exact look, great! If not, have a few pictures you can show your builder or carpenter. Tell them specifically what you like about each one.
- Even with a picture, verbally describe the things you like. If the picture above is perfect, you might say “I like the narrow mantle depth.” This keeps the builder from making it deeper because he likes it that way!
Educate Yourself On Where The Costs Are
Here are a few examples:
- Flat panels (the area inside the center squares on each leg) are less expensive than raised panels.
- Painted surrounds are less expensive than stained.
- If you want stained, wood species comes into play. Brazilian Cherry is going to cost more than White Pine or local Oak.
- If you’re fine with the use of MDF (which sometimes paints-up nicer than wood anyway) make sure you ask for it. The cost is substantially less most of the time.
You Want Electricity Near The Hearth and Mantle
- Decorations or lights during the holidays
- Small lamps on the hearth or mantle look fantastic
- Fix-Mount light fixtures, like in the photo above, really add to the look.
- In case you ever fold and allow the flat screen TV up there!
Here’s to some great fireplace surrounds! Send me some before and afters! The photo above is courtesy of RemodelingCenter.com