Ralph Lauren Paints — I’m a believer!

Looking for Who Makes Ralph Lauren Paints?

This is a Remodeling Guy kind of bouquet!

Bouquet

Have you ever used Ralph Lauren Paints? If not, you might want to give them a try. I’ve been really impressed, consistently , for years! So much so that I’m finally willing to come out of the closet and proclaim publicly that I love Ralph Lauren…paints.

DSC02207

Color Is King

With color names like Kayak Yellow, Aegean Blue, Jamaican Green, and Mesa Sunrise , it’s easy to imagine how the conversion started. But truth be told, my now total surrender comes after years of hard struggle. I wasn’t won over easily.

Kayak-Yellow

It did start with color. My wife can take credit for starting this transformation and she did it because of color! Ralph Lauren colors are awesome! They have some colors you can’t even get in other paints. She never bought it when I said “they can make that color in MY brand!”

Mesa-Sunrise

Turns out she was right! No matter how many times I’ve tried, the only way I’ve found of getting those colors true to the color chips is to buy Ralph Lauren Paints and not try and have it made in another brand.

Paint Quality Matters!

I was raised in construction and readers of my Newsletter know that I spent many a day being trained in the how-to’s and how-NOT -to’s of professional painting. Just like any childhood scar, I’ve had to deal with it in adulthood.

I’ve been known to be a paint snob. Benjamin Moore was preferred, other brands would suffice, but good paint made a difference. Coming from this perspective I had a very hard time buying any paint that had the same name on it as my Dad’s tie. Paint and ties are different.

porchchairs3

This was a deeply engrained belief and it never would have changed if not for the ultimate test. Using the bottom of an old and almost empty can of Ralph’s finest, Kim painted one of my signature Adirondack Chairs in Aegean Blue. No primer, one coat.

That was over a year ago. Since then, that chair has been in the direct weather and hot Florida sun, 24/7. It still looks fabulous today! No loss of sheen, no fade in the color. The only damage at all is regular wear and tear. That’s good paint .

Hands-On Research

We’ve since painted all kinds of things with Ralph Lauren Paint and it performs well in every area. I’m impressed with:

• Coverage (both in how well it covers and how much it covers)
  • Ease of application (it lays out smooth and easily)
  • Color consistency (good matching with paint bought later)
  • Color is true to the sample

We Used It Outside

I searched the internet today looking for somewhere that says it’s okay to use this outside. Couldn’t find it. All I can tell you is that we’ve used it on numerous outdoor projects and it’s holding up extremely well in a harsh paint environment.

Lattice-Red

It has a higher content of “solids” than many paints and that makes it durable. I don’t know about UV inhibitors, but the colors we’ve used outdoors have stayed true.

If you want to read a discussion about it over at the iVillage GradenWeb Forum, here is the link.

I’m not getting paid to say this. I wish I was…if you’re from the company that makes Ralph Lauren Paint (which also makes Glidden, and Devoe Paints), then please contact me and I’ll be happy to accept your contribution. But the point is that I was so pleased with this product that I wanted to give it a public thumbs-up!

So, do you have any experience with this paint? Did you like it? I’d love to see a discussion on it right here in the comments!

Happy Cinco De Mayo!

~ RG

Arrggh – Ralph Lauren Paints is no longer at Home Depot, so now people are wondering Who Makes Ralph Lauren Paints?

Comments

1. Tammy Przybylo says

Love your passion!! :0D RL produces a lovely assortment of color choices and it is probably fabulous paint, but the cost makes me gasp. While RL makes me gasp–Glidden makes me gag. I hate it. The hands-down worst paint I’ve ever dipped a brush in.
    I am captivated by the specialty finishes that RL offers and have always been temped to try one; however, my temptation is always quickly cooled by the budget-wise price of Behr paint.
    When I am dropping high-dollar on paint, I go with Sherwin Williams. I normally do this for heavy-use rooms and outdoor projects.
    Maybe next time I need to paint I will step outside my “comfort zone” and try a gallon o’ RL foolishness :0) Thanks for another great post!

2. says

Hi Tammy! – You’re right it is a little expensive. I almost don’t buy it for that reason every time! But I usually don’t need much and after a short argument with self I go ahead and cough-up the extra. It’s about $30 a gallon here. Next time try it. The coverage is good and that makes a difference!

3. says

I’ve been a big Ben Moore fan for years, but have really been going with a lot of Sherwin Williams/old Duron colors in this house, and am impressed at the great coverage in one coat! The one paint we just hate is M. Stewart from KMart. Terrible, terrible!!! Doesn’t ever match the chip, bad coverage, ugly all around! In my opinion, you get what you pay for with paint. I’ve never tried the RL. I’ll check it out! :)

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest’s last blog post..Happy Birthday!!

4. says

I prefer BM but I have not used RL paint yet. We’ve had good luck with Behr too from HD. It covered a RED wall amazingly, and a highly textured one at that. I was really impressed with that. My two main colors in BM is mayonaise for a warm white (all our trim and fireplace mantle and kitchen cabinets) and Golden Wheat for the living room and dining room and hallway. I get tons of compliments on the color and like it so much that I will used it in the new (old) house when we move. Speaking of which, just dropped the price again. Anyone need to move to Oregon?

Susan’s last blog post..Glasses

5. says

I have to be the one bummer on the paint. Sorry, I’m in love with their colors but have consistently hated the paint. I was using flat in dark colors and I would get chalky marks on the walls if I touched them. Perhaps they are better in satin. I have since repainted all 3 rooms with SW Duratiaon Home in eggshell and love that paint.

I do however highly recommend Devine Paint Colors, http://www.devinecolor.com. My entire common are of my house is Latte and my Dining room is Mocha…the best brown I’ve ever found!

But I will agree that RL does have Fab colors!

6. Julie says

You know I have never tried Ralph Lauren. I have seen it, but never taken the plunge. I am a Behr girl because I tried it once and have tried not to look back (on other brands). I do however have a beautiful bench in my front yard that could use a BOLD new color. Do they not make this paint in exterior? I know you said that you couldn’t find anywhere on the internet saying it’s okay to use outside (I’m assuming you were referring to your paint being interior paint).

I always enjoy your posts!

7. says

Great post and discussion! You have me very interested in trying RL paint. I use Behr a lot and have been happy with that.
    I wonder if RL is in Sicily……..:)
    I have some rooms at our house in the States that I’m repainting when I get home later this summer. I think I’ll try RL.

Thanks for the info!

JanMarie’s last blog post..Thrifty Finds and a Treasure Hunt

8. says

I’m a die-hard Ben Moore fan. I’ve used almost every paint there is available from any of the big box stores and hated every one of them. I did a bathroom in the leather faux finish by Ralph Lauren and hated every step of it. It took three coats of the base paint to get the drywall covered – it was new drywall that had been primed. Then when it was time to do the glaze, it came out horrible. Luckily, we weren’t afraid to experiement with it and we got a finish we loved, but it didn’t look anything like on the instructional video or how we envisioned.

Lara’s last blog post..Because I couldn’t pick just one…

9. says

One coat with THAT blue??? Really?? Wow! I just bought 2 plain Adirondak chairs that are totally untouched. I bought Valspar in orange and pink to paint them. I am going to be on coat 3 now. With just 2 coats, the wood is still very visible. Valspar isn’t cheap either! ugh! Next time I will try RL! Thanks for the info!! :)

10. says

Mornin’ Everyone! Sorry I bailed out on the conversation for awhile! Have to step away from the computer sometime!

Sure enough, it covered in one coat on that chair!

Paint is an odd thing. I’ve never heard a paint that someone didn’t say “I HATE that paint!” I’ve heard it with Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, Porter, all of them. I think that any good paint can do you a great job and sometimes the convenience factor of which store is closest to you is the real deciding factor.

But I’m standing by my support of the Ralph Lauren paints just based on our experience. It’s been really good.

I’m looking forward to reading more of the discussion!

Tim

11. says

Yea, okay, I’ll admit it for my husband, RL is good paint.
    They used to have a color called “manila” but it was really more gold than you would picture if you think of a manila folder. It looked a bit less orange than the Kayak Yellow you posted about. It’s in my bedroom on 3 walls (with a BM sagey-looking green on the accent wall and natural chestnut trim) AND it’s in my kitchen with white trim. Hubby was resistant ’cause of the price, but once we tried it, he was amazed by the quality of the paint! I can’t say he’s converted 100% but for sure he’s less “no way, it’s too darn expensive!”

Krys’s last blog post..Not much to add…

12. says

Although I’ve only used RL one time in my home I must agree with you. I used a really rich caramel color. It really covered nicely in one coat and still have plenty left. Like someone else already mentioned I haven’t used it because of the cost and have been faithful to Behr but I think it’s time that I try it out again. I’ve got a basement to paint. ;-)

Barbara’s last blog post..Been Busy

13. Amanda Eck says

I too love Ralph Lauren paints-my sister & BIL just did their dining room in the Coffee Bean color-and OMG! it makes me want to lick the walls -the color is PERFECT! and I found out the hard way that going cheap on paint causes you to spend more in the long run- a used a discount store brand- wont mention their name but it begins with W and ends with mart- I swear they add water to their paint- it took 3 gallons for a small 8 X 11 room!!!

Amanda Eck’s last blog post..May in the Garden

14. says

RL is good paint – I’ve used it a couple of times throughout the years. And I haven’t found it to be really “expensive” – it’s just a little more than what Behr costs here.
    But the paint that really impressed me was Sherwin Williams. It was the first time using their paint, and wow!!! Their paint did cost more, but it was worth it.
    Now, I haven’t used Benjamin Moore, but have been dying to because of their vast color selection – which I think beats RL’s. The thing that has stopped me in the past was cost, but I’m thinking I might give them a try for my next project, just so I can say I’ve used them.

The paint that I HATE??? Valspar. It has a really strong and noxious smell (the only paint to really cause me to feel sick, and I’ve painted a lot of walls!), and it doesn’t cover as well as Behr (Valspar = Lowe’s, Behr = Home Depot). I’ve had decent/good results with Ace brand, Behr, RL, Restoration Hardware (Silver Sage), Martha Stewart Walmart brand, Sherwin Williams….. I would use any of them again, but never the Valspar!

Rachel’s last blog post..How our garden grows

15. says

For now we stick with Behr just because the price is right. We are on a tight budget over here and spending $30+ on a gallon of paint just doesn’t work for us. However, I will have to branch out and try some…maybe someone will return a color that I will love and I can get it as an oops paint :)

Mrs. Q’s last blog post..Remodeling Round Up…Sorta

16. says

In my old house the bedroom was painted with RL paint. Even though the owners chose a color I did not like. That rooms paint held up the best out of all the rooms in our house.

I have only painted one room in my current home. I know sad. And I’m not sure what brand I of paint I bought. I do know that it came from Lowes.

SoBella Creations’s last blog post..Indie Spotting

17. says

It’s interesting to hear this discussion…I’ve always been under the impression that Benjamin Moore was kind of the best. We use Sherwin Williams most of the time, only because it’s the best that is locally available. (We live in the boonies). I’ll have to try Ralph. I know we have a RL pillow that my husband loves, and I have found their towels to be good quality! :)

Carolyn’s last blog post..What a difference a year makes!

18. says

Hi, Tim, I have to say I haven’t used it a lot, only once for the paint. I used Turrett Stairs (a deep chocolate brown) on my bathroom vanity cabinets and it’s a great color and I did buy the quart of RL paint for it. I’ve heard the same thing about mixing RL paint in other brands, that it simply doesn’t work, for some reason. I have used their glazes too & those are great. Teastain to be exact.

19. josie says

jackrabbit from RL is an awesome all over color. the quality of the paint stands up to all of my kids. completely worth the $$

20. says

Ok, I have never tried RL paint! Thanks for the endorsement! I’ve loved Devine paint and Benjamin Moore. I really dislike Sherwin Williams. I am excited to try RL. I would gladly pay more for a good paint. It makes such a huge huge difference. My painters in my old house used Sherwin Williams and it was awful, so when we got to the kitchen I insisted we switch to Benjamin Moore. WOW, big difference. My new house is all Sherwin Williams again…eeek, bad. Sorry SW. I think it is kind of like all finer things in life, once you experience them, it is hard to go back! :-) If the quality of the paint is better, I’m just happier in the end. Especially since I do not like to paint and repaint. :-)

melissa @ the inspired room’s last blog post..Mother’s Day Weekend

21. says

I use Behr and Benjamin Moore here in Ontario, Canada. Have to say that I have been disappointed with Benjamin Moore a couple of times (colour not even close to the paint chip) and at over $60 (yes $60 Canadian) a gallon I tried to colour match with Behr. The folks at our local Home Depot swear they can colour match BM in Behr (at only $28-30 Cdn a gallon), but twice now it has still been quite a bit off. I always admire the Ralph Lauren colours, and now I just make take the plunge and give them a try.

Elizabeth’s last blog post..Yardsale Saturday Treasures

22. says

I tried RL paint when I owned my home around ten years ago (I now live in an apt.) . I loved that paint. I painted my half bath a color called, “River Sand” if I recall, and it was a great paint and a great color. I got more compliments on that color. I also used the paint in my living room at the time, with a color called, “Beeswax”. The result was the same. I was a huge fan of RL paint. One day I heard someone say that RL paint wasn’t very good and that the quality wasn’t there. I am not a paint expert but I loved the colors and the paint covered well. Glad to hear you are a fan.

Dream Mom’s last blog post..Sneak Peek! A Child’s Playroom Makeover

23. says

I’ve got to put in a good word for Valspar, which a few people have not liked. I just used it this weekend and fell in love, love, love. I was leary when we went to get paint for this project (which I will be blogging the results on next week. woo!) as the builder of my parent’s home used Behr paint (which we chose) and said he hated it. Said it did not go on easy and needed several coats.

Needless to say, I didn’t want to use it. I fell in love with all the colors in the “Seaside Retreat” section. Though it was more expensive, I said, let’s just do it. I dabbed the paint chip on the small sample spot on the can to see how well it matched and it was perfection.

Now, I don’t know if the primer has anything to do with it. We used Kilz, which is a thick glop and not fun to do.

Well, with the first turn of the paint roller [in Valspar Turquoise Sea] I was in love. It glided (correct usage, I looked it up!) on like silk. I hardly had to go back to the paint tray as the paint went on forever and the coverage was completely opaque after only one coat. The color was amazing and looked like candy. I just wanted to eat it up.

So, there’s really no need for me to even try RL if I’m this in love with Valspar. That is, unless I find that it is cheaper, in which case, I might try it out in the future.

Thanks for the recommendation!

foobella’s last blog post..Join The Hunt

24. says

I am a RL Paint lover too. I think the quality is just as good, maybe better, than BM, but I do think BM reigns supreme in color choices. I’ve used a lot of RL in my home. One piece of advice, do NOT use the Candlelight treatment offered by RL. I thought it would look so pretty in my living room, but yikes, every time you take a picture with a flash, it looks like some kind of wierd reflective surface. I don’t think it looks that great with direct sun either. Not cool. I have to repaint now, but hey, just another excuse to use more paint, and this time, I’m adding wainscotting !! Woo hooo !

Kate

Kate at Centsational Girl’s last blog post..Berry Beautiful GIVEAWAY

25. Kris says

I agree wholeheartedly with RL although I feel like I should be standing up at a support group when I announce it! My husband swears by Behr and I hate it. RL goes on so well, the colors are rich, deep and complex.With 4 small kids it has held up well-just painted my girls’ room peony-beautiful! I don’t like when there are “names” on things but this RL paint is a winner!

26. Michelle says

Oh RG & Kate @ Centsational Girl… why didn’t I find this site beforehand?? because I didn’t look… I just WASTED 2 gallons of RL paint as base coat & 2 gallons of RL Candlelight ($49 ea) to have the same experience with the product. I will be repainting tonight. I do LOVE the paint & after the 1st coat of candlelight dried with the lines I called the 800# listed on the product & got a human in 2 rings!! her advice was good but did not fix the problem. After looking on-line, I do believe the product would work better if you just sponged it all over from the get go. But NOTHING will erase the roller lines apparently. That’s for some great info & tips RG.
    Michelle

27. Patricia says

Hi, I appreciate the discussion on RL paints as I am considering using it on my condo. Has anyone had any experience with RL’s metallic paints?
    Thanks.
    Patricia

28. Michelle says

I just barely painted a wall in my bedroom with the Ralph Lauren metallic paint in Wadsworth Grey and it doesn’t look metallic at all. I followed the instructions to the T, so I don’t see roller marks thankfully, but it just looks like a dark gray paint. I’m very disappointed because I spent a lot of money and didn’t get the results I was hoping for. Now I need to find another type of metallic paint to add as a glaze over the top so that it will actually look like metallic.

29. says

Well, I’m buying paint later this week – my two local stores sell Valspar and True Value. Same price. Mostly same color choices. I think we’re going with Valspar because it’s closer to our house (three blocks!).

But I’m having a terrible time with colors – my hubby wants actual colors, but most other people say to go with something lighter or more neutral. I don’t want lighter colors that look like pastels. And I don’t like most browns. And my hubby says no to the light neutrals since we have big rooms with high ceilings and don’t want it to feel so huge! So what am I left with? Decisions, I guess.

30. Linda says

Just today discovered that Home Depot no longer carries RL paint! I am sooooo depressed. No matter what, whenever I had to look for paint, the only great colors were available at RL. They were simply unmatched in other brands. The quality was also unsurpassed and well worth the price tag. Besides, cost is not that important at the end of the day when you only tackle these big home jobs once in a blue moon. Do it right and pay for the best you can afford! So, now what do we do???? Wish I had known and I, too, would have grabbed a paint chip for every one of their colors. Arrrragh!

Trackbacks

1. […] 14. Don’t Forget Your Paintbrush – A related idea is that you don’t always have to be relegated to what you can find in the store when it comes to furnishing. I built the adirondack chairs you see with the help of my sons and the table and chairs were just a standard brown wood color when we bought them. We used a whole lot of Ralph Lauren Paint. […]