2009 Spring Remodeling Guy Round-Up – Yee Haw

by Tim Layton on April 30, 2009 Google+

in Exteriors,Painting,Remodeling Guy Round-Up

Spring-Round-Up-200pix

Welcome to the Remodeling Guy Round-Up! I hope you’re here for the party with your post all ready to go! Ready to show off your hard work and your big dreams! I can’t wait to see what kind of awesome creativity everyone brings to the party! I know that you all are an amazing bunch, so I’m sure we’re in for some treats!

What’s A Round-Up?

Despite months of hard work, I’m not world famous yet! So there is the chance, slim though it may be, that you’re here and you have no idea what I’m talking about! Here’s what Webster says about a Round-Up:

Round-up

Round”-up`\, n. The act of collecting or gathering together scattered cattle bloggers by riding around them and driving begging and bribing them in. [Western U.S.]

Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc. Revisions by Remodeling Guy

Well, the begging is over because the time is here! (indicating that if I had more time, I would proudly spend it on further begging) And the bribery, well I’ll tell you about that in a second!

First, I want to show you what I (we) did for the Round-Up!

Before & After Island Style

I don’t technically live on an Island, but I can see some from my window, and that’s close enough! As you’ll soon see, our remodeling has a tropical flare! So, without further ado, take a look at the eyesore we set out to fix today:

Side-Porch-Before-w-Text

Welcome to our side porch! Yuk! I’m telling you what, this was one neglected and un-cared for piece of real estate right here! I’m talking BAD!

We almost never even use this side door. The most frequent use has been to take out the trash, which is generally done by the big kid, AJ. He’s fourteen and he never thinks to straighten the area up a little. And since Kim and I knew it was bad, we were content to pretend it wasn’t there!

IMG 0895

You Can’t Pretend!

That whole “pretend it’s not there” is a bad idea. Areas that are just totally neglected like this just quietly knaw at you CONSTANTLY, even if you try to ignore them! I could write a whole book about that…

This area had broken deck boards, dead plants, dead batteries, worn-out rugs, and was just generally messy! And it was completely devoid of color! You can see by looking at the photo above that our house needs a new color outside! Bad!

What A Difference A Day Can Make!

porch-after-2-w-text

That’s right! Uh huh!

How hot is this picture!? It’s beyond words if you ask me! I mean, if I do say so myself. In most of my life I try to be humble, but a man has to know when it’s just impossible. Like now.

And, I’m not sure if you noticed the little photography trick… but check the reflection in the glass. Oh yeah, that’s my Evinrude Outboard Motor! Now you see why this picture is just perfect!

One Day Only!

I’ve been busy working on some big projects due out on Monday. You’ll see. So I sort of procrastinated on the Round-Up project. In fact, I only started thinking about it last night (Wednesday…late!). So all of this had to be done in a day. Here’s a quick run-down of the day!

9:00 Take before pictures (because no-one would believe it otherwise!)

tools in truck

9:30 Go to shop and get some tools (how to chose? bring ‘em all!)

paint in store

10:00 Go to Home Depot – paint and lumber (we’ll talk more about this later!)

Tim and Jacob cutting wood

11:00 Finally start working – Build shutters first (I’m in love with my helper!)

painting for porch

12:00 Kim’s working too! – Inside painting brackets and the French Door (!)

DSC02225

1:00 Shutters almost ready for paint! – I Love My Sander (deeply)

Lets-Roll-Ad

2:00 Shutters painted and drying – Paint house walls (not ALL of them!)

DSC02229

3:30 Install shutters (more in the tutorial)

DSC02232

4:00 Kim touches-up shutters, while I install brackets on screen door

DSC02233

4:30 Fix broken deck-boards, then apply awesome cool finish to deck

making gecko

5:00 We need some art! Make a lizard (the obvious choice)

porch gecko

6:00 Plants, pots, hang the lizard! (he’s a Fence Lizard!)

Then, we were done! (except for the clean-up…what a mess!) Take a look:

porch after 4

porch door

flower on porch

What A Day!

We’re thrilled with the results of today’s work and there is SO much I want to show you about everything we did!

• How I Built The Shutters – tutorial will be in the May Newsletter
  • All About The Deck Finish – an upcoming post right here!
  • How to Make the Gecko and Paint it – will be at Forever..Wherever!!
  • Ralph Lauren Paints – I’ll talk about them at RG:Select soon!

None of these are done YET! I’ll do them over the weekend and update the links.

Enough About Me

I want to see what YOU did, or want to do, or tried to do! Whatever! This Round-Up is all about YOU and anything Home-Improvement related! Large projects, small projects, and projects that are still in the dream stages! Bring them all and include them in Mr. Linky!

It’s the standard set of rules:

1. When you link, make sure the URL (website address) you put in is the one that goes straight to your post rather than your blog homepage. If you need help, email me I’d be happy to assist.
  2. Make sure you have a link to this post in your post! If you’re not linked here, then your readers can’t come see everyone elses entry. (I hope I don’t later realize that this should say “the other entry”)
  3. You may get a Round-Up button for use in your post at this post here. But you may not follow my example and photoshop my head onto clip-art! Only I can do that!

Oh Right, The Bribery

I promised there would be goodies! And there are! We’ll have two winners, randomly selected from the entries (only those entries which followed the above rules can win). The prizes are:

Prize Number One:

Tool Pouch

A Pink Tool Belt from Girlgear Industries! This was a big hit when we gave one away before and people still talk about it, so I figured you would love another shot at it!  (Friday 2:00 PM, I just got an email from Terri at Girlgear Industries and she says she’ll supply another toolbelt to give to a randomly selected Newsletter Subscriber…so if you haven’t already, sign-up for the Newsletter right here!)

Prize Number Two:

Very simple and no picture needed: a $20 gift card to your choice of Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Okay..this is it. I won’t do another post until late Sunday night, so this will be up all weekend. Plenty of time if you don’t have something ready yet, and time to tell your friends! And now, Heeeeeeere’s Mr. Linky!

Remodeling Guy Round-Up Participants

1. Hooked on Houses (2-story foyer)
2. Jadehollow
3. On A Whim
4. We are THAT family
5. Emily@remodelingthislife
6. melissa * 320 sycamore
7. The Inspired Room(beach house remodel 08)
8. Mrs. Querido:: Remodeling…Sorta
9. Donna at Funky Junk Interiors – unique kitchen wall accent to hide ugly cord
10. Cheryl
11. June (lamp makeover)
12. edie@lifeingrace
13. The Happy Little Home-Bathroom
14. sara’s art house
15. TheEckLife-Kitchen re-do
16. Liz @ It’s Great To Be Home – (Remodeling A Stone Fireplace)
17. songbirdtiff-new flooring
18. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality-Free Outdoor Fountain
19. The Nester:: exterior
20. JanMarie / Kitchen MakeOver
21. Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam(surprise find)
22. Sarah
23. NCJill (patio redo)
24. mombrud (wish I’d done this years ago)
25. Mary’s Kitchen remodel: low-budget/DIY/IKEA
26. Steph
27. Melissia @ Love That Color!
28. Sabrina Lawrence
29. Jessica (Spray Paint projects)
30. Making This Home (teeny kitchen)
31. Denise
32. Lara
33. magicmarkingsart
34. Jill@Forever Cottage
35. Jennifer@Blogging God And Me
36. Aunt Jo
37. Christy (Big Reveal: Family Room Transformation)
38. Jen @homeinthecities
39. Star’sFault (Master Bath Blues)
40. Summer @ Three Little Monkeys: Buh-bye 70′s Basement
41. Jen and Juice
42. Alissa – bookcase
43. New Every Morning ~porch
44. Katie (Window Trim)

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

Article by Tim Layton

{ 46 comments }

1 We are THAT family May 1, 2009 at 12:04 am

Wow! That is amazing!! I love it.

2 Emily@remodelingthislife May 1, 2009 at 12:10 am

What a project! I love that!! So cheerful!

Emily@remodelingthislife’s last blog post..Completed Projects

3 Jadehollow May 1, 2009 at 12:11 am

What an awesome transformation. I love it! I’m totally digging the blue floor finish with the yellow house color. Like how you snuck in that Evinrude reflection… hahaha Glad to see others have all that stuff hanging around as well.. I can’t hardly get an outdoor shot without some kinda outboard motor, 3D deer targets, deer feeders or jon boats in it. Thanks for hosting this fun event.
Hugs,
Debbie

Jadehollow’s last blog post..Spring Round-Up Remodel

4 Julia @ Hooked on Houses May 1, 2009 at 12:16 am

WHOA. I’m stunned by that transformation! I love it. The blue you used on the deck was genius. It makes everything pop. And the shutters add so much character.

Thanks for hosting this fabulous party. Can’t wait to see what everyone else has been up to! :-)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses’s last blog post..Hooked on DIY Remodeling Projects Around the House

5 Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam May 1, 2009 at 12:17 am

Ok, I am working on mine since my son is asleep, but I think I’ll wait til morning to see how many typos I have. :)

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam’s last blog post..Kellogg’s Cereal deals everywhere

6 melissa May 1, 2009 at 1:14 am

Tim~I can’t believe what a difference a day makes! It looks sooo much better! Thanks for hosting~I want that toolbelt!! :)

melissa’s last blog post..more monogram and project procrastination

7 Mrs. Q May 1, 2009 at 2:09 am

That is an awesome after! I love the gecko…alas, I fear it would look rather strange in my Pacific Northwest climate…so graphic though..love it! And your colors are fabulous!

Makes me wish I had a deck…lol!

That is another project for the future :)

Mrs. Q’s last blog post..Remodeling Round Up…Sorta

8 Mrs. Q May 1, 2009 at 2:14 am

Oh and RG…ours really doesn’t count as remodeling that is FINISHED…it is still in process. Hope that doesn’t disqualify us from participating in the round up!

Mrs. Q’s last blog post..Remodeling Round Up…Sorta

9 Mrs. Q May 1, 2009 at 2:25 am

Okay I feel seriously underdressed at this party. My room isn’t even done. All your crew is showing off finished photos of amazing projects.

All I can say is that our room will be amazing once it is done. Sigh. And my only other excuse is that this is the first remodeling we have done to this house. :) (I use the term “we” loosely. My hubby is doing all of the work)

Mrs. Q’s last blog post..Remodeling Round Up…Sorta

10 Donna at Funky Junk Interiors May 1, 2009 at 2:47 am

Now THAT was a great tutorial! And it’s so awesome! I so wish I had ‘real’ building skills. I’d be downright dangerous… enjoy your new porch! Whatcha gonna do with the plain’ ol garbage cans now? Git ta work! :)

Donna

Donna at Funky Junk Interiors’s last blog post..Birdhouse and old wood projects have begun! Why? Because I’m being forced by…

11 Cheryl May 1, 2009 at 4:19 am

That’s an incredible bit of change for a day’s work!

Dunno if ours counts, as it was done a few years ago, before we could move in – but hey, I still wanted to share. :)

Cheryl’s last blog post..Remodeling Guy Roundup!

12 June May 1, 2009 at 5:37 am

What a great project! Can’t wait to see the rest!

June’s last blog post..Procrastination Party!

13 Edie May 1, 2009 at 6:29 am

Of course my favorite is the blue deck stain! It is stain, right? And I would love to have those shutters on my house. You and Ms.Kim did a fantastic job. Can’t wait to link up!

14 NCJill May 1, 2009 at 7:55 am

Ya-hoo! That truly looks like a magical transformation! Maybe even Dad can get bribed into taking out the trash now!? Great color scheme!!
PS Didya get my pix?

15 sara's art house May 1, 2009 at 8:08 am

Wow- that looks great!!!!! Love the colors.

sara’s art house’s last blog post..Before & After Photos

16 Liz May 1, 2009 at 8:10 am

LOVE the transformation – the colors are gorgeous!

17 Denise May 1, 2009 at 8:20 am

I am anxiously waiting for my plumber to come and hook my sink back up this morning and will post once that is done and I can take some pics. Hey, I am going to include one of me and my pink tool belt!!

Denise’s last blog post..Soccer and Skateboards~

18 JanMarie May 1, 2009 at 8:43 am

Hi Tim!
Could you please erase my link…..I goofed!

I’m not good with the computer…can you tell me how to do Mr. Linky? Thank you :)

JanMarie’s last blog post..Kitchen Makeover

19 Rhoda @ southern Hospitality May 1, 2009 at 8:51 am

Tim, that looks fantastic!! I can tell you live in FL with those colors. Ya’ll did a great job & it looks like a team effort.

Rhoda @ southern Hospitality’s last blog post..Dayspring Life Collection

20 Lise May 1, 2009 at 9:05 am

Wow!

21 JanMarie May 1, 2009 at 9:22 am

Sorry about the earlier goof! I got it figured out.

Love your side patio! Isn’t it wonderful what a little paint and elbow grease can do? Oh, and of course…can’t forget those power tools!!

Thanks for hosting this Round Up!

JanMarie’s last blog post..Kitchen Makeover

22 melissa @ the inspired room May 1, 2009 at 9:57 am

Great job, RG! I linked up to our beach house remodeling effort from last summer, since I have been too busy moving since then to do much remodeling let alone taking any photos of it. :-D

Thanks for the great party!

23 Rachel May 1, 2009 at 10:20 am

What a big difference some wood, paint, and a little bit of work can make!

I don’t have a remodeling job to share, but I look forward to checking out others posts!

Rachel’s last blog post..Training to be Godly

24 SoBella Creations May 1, 2009 at 10:20 am

Wow what a great transformation! I love the color of your deck.

SoBella Creations’s last blog post..Etsy Blogger Team Member Two Zany Zebras

25 Marty May 1, 2009 at 11:06 am

Wow, you makeover is stunning. I love the yellow and blue and your shutters and door trim are just gorgeous. What a huge transformation. Now I would want to sit there. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Marty’s last blog post..Triple Post – Met. Mon, 3 or More Tues. & What’s on Your Wall Wed.

26 Cheryl May 1, 2009 at 11:20 am

Restructured my post – I didn’t realize at the time that the captions weren’t going to be visible for the slideshow, so I just went with posted pics.

Cheryl’s last blog post..Remodeling Guy Roundup!

27 Melissia May 1, 2009 at 11:33 am

Wow, great use of a day! The result is beautimous! I just started my blog and yours my first Mr Linky Party! Thanks for hosting. ~Melissia

Melissia’s last blog post..Remodeling Guy Round-Up

28 Steph May 1, 2009 at 11:54 am

Wowzers. Love the all the different elements! Love the shutters, and that color on the deck is awesome!

Steph’s last blog post..

29 Katie @ Making This Home May 1, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Your upgrade looks sharp… especially knowing you were able to conquer it in one day. I’m new to your blog and really liking what I’ve read so far since last night.
My home is 480 sq feet, so it doesn’t leave a huge opportunity for remodel projects. It’s probably a good thing. My husband and I could do them day and night.
Katie

Katie @ Making This Home’s last blog post..Late Baby Gifts

30 Sarah May 1, 2009 at 12:27 pm

WOW! I can’t believe you did all that in one day AND it looks awesome! I also was very excited to get a comment on THE ONE AND ONLY remodeling guy on my brand new blog. Thanks Tim!

Sarah’s last blog post..A Real Grown-up Remodeling Project

31 Denise May 1, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I hope I posted it right! Love your project by the way!

Denise’s last blog post..Spring Round Up~

32 Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam May 1, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Ok, I must get a sander….what kind is yours that you adore so much.

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam’s last blog post..Remodeling Round Up – Painting Lighting Fixtures

33 Remodeling Guy May 1, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Hi Jen! I’m heading your way soon to see your post! Can’t wait. but I saw your comment and I realized that I can sell you one of those sanders! In fact, I’ve sold a couple already through my General Store.
GET AN AWESOME SANDER HERE!!!

Is it obvious to everyone else when I’m joking around? You can get a sander at my store, but the oversell is a joke! oh well… See you soon!

34 cathie May 1, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I ran across your site a few weeks ago, and fell in love with your tropical remodeling ideas. Since our house has a beach bungalow feel, I was excited to be able to post some of our past projects. Can’t wait to see what everyone else has done, and what’s in store for the future.
cheers

cathie’s last blog post..Hand Painted Pottery Plates – Glazed and Ready to be Fired.

35 Jennifer @ Southern Charm May 1, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Wow, what an amazing job you did!! Love it.

Jennifer @ Southern Charm’s last blog post..Mr. Linky Party at Misti’s

36 Aunt Jo May 1, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Great job!

37 christy May 1, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I absolutely love this re-do. The painted turquoise floor is my favorite part…no wait, it’s the little painted corner pieces for the door way…or maybe the lizard. Okay, love the whole thing. I’ve just today stumbled upon your site – my friend Liz mentioned it, Julia linked to it, and my friend Katie commented here today. Wow – I can’t believe what I’ve been missing. I love beachy tropical decor and I love doing DIY projects with my husband. I can’t wait to read through your archives and follow this blog!

christy’s last blog post..Family room REVEAL

38 Gayle May 1, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Wow! You guys did a beautiful job. Sigh. I don’t think I am ambitious enough to take a project on.

Gayle’s last blog post..Pet Parade!

39 Jen May 1, 2009 at 9:18 pm

AMAZING before and after! Great job!!

40 Summer May 2, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Good Work! I bet it that porch makes you smile every time you see it! Ü

Summer’s last blog post..Sneak Peek of Logan’s Cake

41 jen May 2, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Love it! Takes me back to St. Johns!

jen’s last blog post..Before and After: Curb Appeal

42 J.J. May 4, 2009 at 11:53 am

That is such a great transformation! Awesome personality!

J.J.’s last blog post..Happy Mother’s Day a little early…

43 new every morning May 4, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Thanks for posting this. I’ve enjoyed reading them all and collecting some great ideas!

new every morning’s last blog post..Remodel: Back Porch

44 Rachael May 6, 2009 at 1:23 am

I really wanted to participate but I ran into some snags and I am STILL not finished! I’ll have to email or link up later!

Rachael’s last blog post..My Inspiration

45 Grandma May 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I can’t believe this –and the comments are wonderful !!! Love you come see me!!!I can’t remodel-but I can cook !!!

46 Amy Jo Trager May 8, 2009 at 12:40 pm

What great results from a long day of work! I think it’s funny that you painted part of your house, but not all…. keeping it managable, right?

Amy Jo Trager’s last blog post..Maternity adjustments

{ 13 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post:

Use of this site constitutes agreement with the SAFETY DISCLAIMER!, Privacy Policy